Individuals exhibiting symptoms such as cramps, fever, and diarrhea should consult the best gastroenterologist in Lahore . The symptoms correlate with stomach flu. In severe cases, the person can suffer from serious complications. Hence, it is beneficial to consult a specialist; who can diagnose the disease and provide treatment accordingly.
Gastroenteritis and Its Symptoms
Gastroenteritis is commonly known as stomach flu. In this condition, the inflammation in the stomach and intestine causes diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. People suffering from the symptoms should seek medical help as without treatment the condition can worsen. The common symptoms of gastroenteritis are:
- The patient suffers from watery diarrhea.
- The patient feels nauseous and lethargic.
- The patient suffers from vomiting, which is energy-draining, and the person is unable to talk and walk.
- The person experiences unbearable cramps and pain in the stomach.
- The person is dehydrated and has suffered from constant headaches.
- The patient suffers from low-grade fever.
Common Causes of Gastroenteritis
The common causes of gastroenteritis include:
- The infection in the gastrointestinal tract can cause pain and inflammation.
- The person had physical contact with the individual infected from the same virus or bacteria.
- Food prepared in contaminated water can cause infection in the gastrointestinal tract.
- The person did not wash hands after using the public washroom.
- The person ate undercooked eggs or other poultry items.
- Water with a high concentration of arsenic, lead, and cadmium can cause multiple problems, including gastroenteritis.
- Excessive consumption of acidic food can cause inflammation.
- People taking antibiotics, radiotherapy, and antacids are more likely to suffer from inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract as a side effect.
- Consuming raw seafood can cause infection.
The steps that can minimize the occurrence of gastroenteritis include:
- People should maintain a habit of always using sanitizer before consuming food.
- The food should be properly cooked and prepared in clean water.
- People should consume boiled or mineral water to avoid complications.
- People should be vaccinated against viruses that can lead to multiple problems, including gastroenteritis.
- People should avoid physical contact; if they exhibit symptoms of gastroenteritis, as they may affect others.
- People should not use public swimming pools if they exhibit signs of gastroenteritis.
Complications Associated with Gastroenteritis:
The complications that correlate with gastroenteritis are:
- The person may suffer from blood in the urine and stool, which affects the functioning of vital organs, such as kidneys.
- The person may suffer from swollen abdominal, which causes extreme pain leading to other diseases.
- The person becomes dehydrated because of vomiting and diarrhea. Without proper treatment, the condition can lead to death.
Tests to Diagnose Gastroenteritis
The tests that help in diagnosing the condition are:
- The specialist will ask the patient about the use of other medications, their dietary changes, and travel history to determine if the virus or bacteria is the cause of inflammation/infection.
- The specialist will conduct a physical examination to determine if there is swelling in the abdominal region to check the severity of the condition.
- The doctor will examine the rectum to detect any mass that may be causing the person to suffer from the symptoms.
- The blood testing helps detect the presence of infection in the body.
- In severe cases, stool tests help detect blood cells and infection. It helps evaluate the severity of the condition.
Medication to Treat Gastroenteritis
- The medications that have proven effective in treating gastroenteritis include:
- Antibiotics are prescribed to fight the infection in the body and provide relief.
- Antiemetics help treat nausea and control vomiting.
- Vaccination against viruses in infancy helps decrease the chances of contracting the disease.
Adults and children diagnosed with gastroenteritis should consult a gastroenterologist like Dr Mujahid Israr. The doctor will provide guidance regarding the treatment options for quick and smooth recovery. Additionally, the specialist will help the patient understand preventive measures to avoid the recurrence of the disease.