Offering a certain commission, the sales that the reps have made for their company is a company practice that almost all company’s exercise. Reps are assigned a certain quota which they are then supposed to achieve within the specified time.
Once the sales reps achieve the assigned quota and bring the company more profits than what was expected, they are provided a certain cut for playing their part in the process.
It is a general tendency to confuse sales quota with sales goals, but on the contrary, both are two different terms albeit they differ only in smaller terms from each other. A sales quota is the set of actions the reps must undertake so as to achieve the specified sales quota.
This cut is called the sales commission and companies exercise this general process so as to boost their business for a temporary period of time but it also increases the productivity of the company for a long term. The sales cut provided to the reps tends to make them work with their utmost potential and provokes them to put in more effort.
The commission which we just talked about is given to the reps with reference to a set of rules framed and implemented on the behalf of the company and imposed on the reps.
An insight into commission planning
Companies assign teams to make effective sales commission plans according to which they would look after the sales incentive management process.
- In the olden days these plans were made through spreadsheets and were operated on it.
- Whenever any update was needed to be made, new entries were filled in manually through formulas.
- This consumed a lot of time and tampered with the productivity of individuals, as they had to make necessary changes every now and then and as a result had to waste quite the time after it.
Transition from spreadsheets to softwares
It was observed that the old method did not prove to be an effective method anymore and did cost more than what companies thought.
- Eventually companies understood that they needed to switch to an easier method which would cost less and consume less time.
- It was then that the use of commission management softwares saw a spike. Businesses started turning over to the softwares for getting an effective sales commission plan made for their company.
- These softwares design a full-fledged sales commission after a thorough analysis of all the data available. After the analysis they make a full-fledged and an effective Commission plan suitable for the company and is in the interest of both the parties.
Companies like ElevateHQ take up such projects and provide businesses with the plan that they need. These softwares are called commission management software and solely aim at helping businesses track the sales and offer suitable incentives to the reps.
Reps must their level best in order to achieve their sales target. They should adopt a certain strategy to achieve sales target which is assigned to them. The commissions motivate the reps to push their limits and go beyond them at times.