Does your Netgear extender keep on disconnecting when you are accessing the internet through it? If yes, then it’s a severe headache when you are working on some online projects as it can ruin your experience. However, this kind of issue is experienced by many users, so no need to worry if your facing it too. Just have look at the below section, you may find the information helpful in resolving the Netgear WiFi extender keeps disconnecting issue.
Fix: Netgear Extender Keeps Disconnecting
Reboot Your Netgear Extender
First things first, you should try to resolve this issue by rebooting your Netgear range extender. In this way, you can fix minor technical glitches that might be the reason behind the Netgear extender keeps disconnecting issue.
To reboot your Netgear extender:
- Disconnect your Netgear extender from your all WiFi-enabled devices.
- Turn it off and unplug your range extender from the power socket.
- Wait for some time before re-connecting it into the power outlet.
- Then, turn on your Netgear extender.
And, connect your WiFi-enabled devices to your Netgear extender and check if you are still facing any issues.
Check Your Connection
Ensure that the Ethernet cable you are using to establish a physical connection between your networking devices needs to be free from any kind of damage. Else, you’ll get stuck with further technical issue. In a wireless connection, the the placement of your WiFi extender should be within the range of your home router to avoid loss of connection.
Important Note: We suggest users prefer a cable connection while accessing Netgear’s default web address i.e. www.mywifiext.net.
Select an Ideal Location for Extender
Make sure to place your Netgear extender away from the objects like refrigerators, microwaves, cordless phones, Bluetooth speakers, or other smart home appliances to minimize the interference in your WiFi signals. The reason being, these objects use radio signals for transmission which can create disturbance in the WiFi signals.
Update Your Extender’s Firmware
Using an outdated version of your Netgear range extender firmware can also be a reason behind the issue you are currently using. Therefore, it’s recommended to use the latest version of your Netgear extender firmware for smooth functioning of your device. However, many users aren’t aware of the process to update the firmware of the Netgear extender and get stuck while doing so. If you don’ want any trouble while updating your Netgear extender firmware, then carefully go through the below-mentioned steps.
To Update Netgear Extender Firmware:
- Turn on your Netgear extender and your computer system.
- Access an updated version of the web browser.
- Go to the address field, enter the default web address, and hit the Enter button.
- You’ll be navigated to the Netgear extender login page where you are required to enter the default username and password.
- After entering the default login credentials, click the Log In button.
- Once you have successfully logged in, the Netgear extender setup wizard will appear on the screen.
- Browse the cursor of your mouse to the Advanced tab.
- Under the Advanced tab, click Administration and then select Firmware Update.
- Then, you need to click the Check button to confirm if a new update is available or not.
- If a new update is available, click Yes to initiate the update process.
- Once initiated, follow the on-screen instruction to complete the Netgear firmware update process.
After upgrading your Netgear extender firmware, you might be able to fix the extender keeps disconnecting issue. If not, then head further to get more information.
Reset and Re-configure Your Extender
It’s the last method, you should consider it if none of the above-given techniques works for you. Resetting your range extender to the default factory settings will eliminate most of the minor technical issues. Therefore, we suggest you reset and re-configure your Netgear extender to fix the disconnecting issue with your range extender.
To Reset Netgear Extender:
- Look for the reset button located on your Netgear range extender.
- Once found, you need press and hold the reset button till the LEDs start blinking.
- Then, your Netgear extender will restart automatically and it is restored to default factory settings.
Now, re-configure your Netgear extender again by accessing the default web address i.e. www.mywifiext.net or you can also use the default IP address i.e. 192.168.1.250.
In the way, you can easily fix the Netgear extender keeps disconnecting issue without any trouble.