Leather jackets never go out of style. A leather jacket can take a basic outfit to the next level in one fell swoop. It can be quite difficult to find the perfect leather jacket . Have you found the perfect one yet? Lucky you, because a premium quality leather jacket will give you years of pleasure. But what do you do when your favorite leather jacket has gotten filthy and dirty?
Leather jackets are great to wear, but unfortunately they are not cheap. So you need to handle them with care because you don’t want to ruin your favorite leather jacket by cleaning it incorrectly. I have experienced a similar problem when I bought a cafe racer leather jacket from Jackets Hippo and then it got dirty and I have to try different things to make it look clean.
Here’s everything you should know about cleaning a leather jacket at home.
However, before starting, you should know that the most important thing when cleaning a leather jacket is to avoid putting it in a washing machine. You can’t just throw a leather jacket in the washing machine. To the dry cleaner then? Not necessarily. You can easily clean a leather jacket yourself. Here’s how.
1- With Water and Soap
You can simply ‘wash’ a leather jacket with soap and water. Follow these steps to clean a leather jacket:
- Fill a bucket with warm water.
- Add a little detergent (not too much or you’ll get stains).
- Take a soft cloth and dab it in the water.
- Wipe the jacket with the cloth and pay extra attention to dirty spots.
- Take a bucket with clean water (without soap)
- Now wipe the soap away everywhere
- Hang the jacket so that it can dry wrinkle-free
2- Using A Leather Cleaning Spray
You can also buy a special spray that you can use to clean a leather jacket. You can find these sprays in the supermarket or in specialist leather stores. Are you dealing with heavy-handed stains? Then a leather cleaning spray is certainly handy. Here’s how to use a leather cleaning spray to clean the dirt on your leather jacket.
- Spray the solution on the leather (don’t use too much)
- Rub with a cloth until the solution is completely absorbed
- Use a clean cloth to wipe off the rest of the solution.
- Repeat these steps if the jacket is very dirty.
3- Using Baking Soda
If you prefer not to use soap, you can also clean the inside of your leather jacket with baking soda. You do that by following the below given procedure:
- Turn the leather jacket inside out.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the entire inside of the leather jacket.
- Fill a spray bottle with warm water and spray it over the inside until all the baking soda is damp. The baking soda will now absorb all the dirt and unpleasant odors.
- When the baking soda gets completely dried, you can wipe it off the liner with a clean, damp cloth.
- Hang the leather jacket to dry.
Keep visiting Zeelase to get more useful life hack content.