You can plug Google Chromecast into your TV to cast any content from cast-enabled apps present on another device. With the help of the Google Cast feature and reliable internet packages like Spectrum Silver packages, you can stream services like Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, and Chrome, etc. With them, you can watch your favorite news, sports, entertainment, and even weather channels. You can also view on-demand titles.
At times, your Google Chromecast device may stop working properly. This may be due to several reasons. Most of the time, a simple factory reset can fix the errors. If your device is unresponsive or having problems in casting an app, apply the fixes detailed in this blog.
What Will Happen If You Reset Google Chromecast?
You can easily reset your Google Chromecast device. The process is simple and does not take a lot of time. Within a few minutes, you can restore it to its default factory settings. Once done, you can start using it similar to a new one. Just connect it to your TV again and turn it on. Hopefully, it will be working just fine.
There are three different ways of resetting a Chromecast device. Before you begin, however, it is important to properly connect it to the TV. It must also be connected to the same Wi-Fi network that your casting device is connected to. You can reset Chromecast depending on the generation of the device you have.
Options of Resetting the Device
The Reset Button
This is the manual method of resetting the Google Chromecast device. You can use it to reset the first, second, and third-generation of this product from Google. Note that if you own a first-generation device, this is the only way to reset it. Follow the steps one by one.
- Carefully look at your Chromecast device and locate the micro-USB port.
- Next to it, you will see the reset button.
- Place your fingers on this button to press it.
- Hold it for a minimum of 25 seconds.
- As soon as the red or orange light (depends on the color) disappears, leave the reset button.
- Now, disconnect Chromecast from the TV. Wait for a few seconds before plugging it into the TV again.
- The device is completely reset. Power on the TV to begin using it.
Google Home App
Use this method to reset the second and third-generation Chromecast devices only. Note that this method does not apply to first-generation devices. You can only reset them manually.
- Tap the Google Home app present on your casting device.
- Choose the device you want to reset.
- Tap “Settings” at the top of the Home App from Google.
- Now, click on “Select More.
- And finally, click on “Reset the Device”.
Smart manufacturers are now developing TVs that come with in-built Google TVs. This is the third generation of Google Chromecast devices. Read the steps to reset them below.
- Tap on the profile picture on your Chromecast app. Select HiiSelect on the top right corner of the screen.
- Select “System” by accessing “Settings”.
- Keep scroll down to find “About”. Tap on it.
- After this, tap on “Select Factory Reset”. A dialog box will appear seeking confirmation that you are resetting the device. Tap “Yes”. The device will reset and lose all of its data.
Only reset your Google Chromecast device when it is not working properly. The reason is that a factory reset will erase all your data on the device. All the settings will also change to default. You will need to adjust the settings after the process is complete. However, the device may still malfunction after you have reset it. This may possibly happen due to several reasons. The hardware of the device may be damaged or minor bugs may be affecting its performance. Or, a certain internal component has stopped functioning.
In such a case, you must call the customer service center and share all your concerns. The company rep may guide you on how to fix the problem. The device may require repair work. Whatever the case may be, quick remedial actions will have your streaming services up and running again.