Installation of diesel generators is as important as choosing the right generator. No matter if you are looking for a home or commercial generator, construction sites or rooftop generator, you need to pay appropriate attention to the installation.
Generally, when you consider different home or commercial diesel generators for sale, you can also take into account offered installation services. When installing a diesel generator, following the technical recommendations, as well as using a number of practical tips, will ensure a long service life of the unit. The first stage of work is the reactivation of the power generator according to the instructions supplied by the manufacturer, and only then the rest.
Stages of installation of diesel power generators
After the reactivation of the equipment, it is necessary to select a site, although experts recommend doing this even before buying the generator itself, in order to pre-evaluate the permissible parameters – dimensions, form of execution (all-weather container, open frame or soundproof casing). A soundproof casing, and even more so an open frame, significantly reduces the cost of the unit, but it requires a separate room isolated from weather factors, in which several conditions must be met:
- Good ventilation, providing the microclimate necessary for the start-up and operation of the generator;
- Protection from external factors – low temperature, sunlight, dust and precipitation;
- Artificial or natural lighting;
- Free space around the generator. A service area with a width of at least a meter from each side is required to access the device and carry out service activities. In addition, there should be up to one and a half meters of free space above the unit;
- The size of the doorway that allows the generator to move freely in and out.
Installation of diesel generators in a protective container does not require such serious preparation, it is enough to arrange an appropriate foundation.
During the operation of the generators, vibration occurs, often leading to the displacement of a loose power plant. To prevent such phenomena, the installation is carried out on a specially prepared base – diesel generators must stand on a perfectly flat concrete pad, which:
- Has a depth of at least 150-200 mm;
- The area exceeds the dimensions of the unit;
- Weighs 1.5-2 times more than the generator;
- Equipped with hard fasteners.
Most of the noise generated by the operation of the generator is caused precisely by vibration propagating through the floor and walls. Manufacturers try to reduce vibration by using vibration isolators in the design. However, this is not enough, so additional measures should be considered. This is a rigid mount of a diesel power generator, and the installation of additional shock absorbers, purchased separately, which must be installed between the concrete base and the frame. Additional noise insulation will be provided by flexible connections of the exhaust system.
A running generator is a source of a huge amount of heat, which reduces the life of the device. To prevent this, high-quality supply and exhaust ventilation is necessary.
The task of this system is the removal of exhaust gasses to the street. It also often becomes an additional source of noise, so a silencer is installed on it in models placed in a noise-protective casing or an all-weather container.
The generator generates a lot of heat during operation, due to which the temperature of the room air rises. High temperatures adversely affect the operation of the unit. To prevent the accumulation of heat in the room, it is necessary to install ventilation, and it must be installed in such a way that cold air passes through the generator, along the engine, thus expelling warm air through the duct.
Electric installation work
This stage of the installation of the generator is carried out in strict accordance with the project:
- The block of automatic input of a reserve, automatic switches, the electric drive of blinds is mounted;
- The generator is connected to the AVR module, marked power and control cables are laid;
- A scheme for connecting the power generator to the main network is being assembled;
- The ground loop is connected, and performance tests are carried out.
This is the final stage of installing a diesel generator. It is filled with all technical fluids for lubrication, cooling, fuel, and batteries. The tightness of all joints, connections, and drain taps is checked.
The run-in of a new generator is carried out at partial load (no more than 70% of the rated power).